Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Breakfast with the Usual Suspects

Most mornings I put a few peanuts on the railing to see who comes to join me for breakfast outside on the deck.
It's always the Usual Suspects, as I call them.

The first to show up are Blue Jays. They make such a racket that it acts like a dinner bell for others.


Next up, are the squirrels. Lately, only the Red Squirrel is around. Each night we hear several Barred Owls so perhaps they have been dining on the general squirrel population?

This Red Squirrel looks like it's either moulting or it has a case of mange.

With each jump-like step, the squirrel makes a squeaking sound so it couldn't possibly sneak up on anything because it's just too noisy.


Then chippy shows up.
I could waste a whole day watching Chipmunks.
Actually, some days I do.

Usually, chippy can cram in 3 peanuts.


Two peanuts on either side of it's cheek pouches ……


……….. and one across the front.



1 comment:

  1. Maybe the red squirrel is lining a nest with its fur...Mama Squirrel used to do that in the early spring. I LOVE these shots of Chippy...I would be just like you and spend a lot of time watching.

    ReplyDelete