Thursday, November 27, 2014

Nevermore

I've been encouraging local Ravens to make a stop by leaving a dead mouse out on rock by the road.
I like to think of the rock as the bust of Pallas.

Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door -

Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Today I was lucky to spot Nevermore, the Raven, swooping down to grab the treat I left out.



It grabbed the mouse without landing and took off to a tree top where it perched to dine.  A table with a view.


The fun thing about living in the rural and remote in the bleak December is spending time recounting poetry when the muse arises.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,

Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'



1 comment:

  1. Love it. I adore ravens. Their austere caw in the chill of a bitter winter day sends shivers down my spine. Here in Cold Lake they're more like seagulls than the majestic birds they are. Every garbage day they rip the lids off of even the cleverest garbage pails, toss them aside like a frisbee, and throw trash all over town. This drives most people to distraction but I actually think it's funny, especially since my Dave figured out a raven-proof lid. By the way, what does the local mouse population think of these treats? :)

    ReplyDelete