Sunday, March 8, 2015

Signs of Spring

Despite being -5 oC as I write this and with flurries there are many signs of spring I can see just looking out the window.

This morning while I was making breakfast, out of our kitchen window I saw this precious little creature popping it's head out of the snow.

Check out the mountain of snow on top of the septic bed in the background. It has to be at least 6' deep.


Then Chippy took it's usual position on the fence post.

I've seen Chipmunk tracks in the snow for the past few weeks so there are several out and about looking for a mate.


I put my camera down, poured a morning cup of tea, looked out the window again and there were two Pileated Woodpeckers nibbling at the suet on the feeder.

I've seen Mr. Pileated (he's the one eating first, of course) chasing Mrs. Pileated through the woods these past few weeks. She wasn't too interested in his advances letting all and sundry know this with her loud squawking.


Then without moving from my spot in the kitchen, I turned my head to watch Mr. Pileated fly up to a tree beside our cottage, wipe his bill on a tree allowing Mrs. Pileated to gorge on the suet.


There are plenty of other signs of spring.

In the woods, we can hear woodpeckers drumming loudly to attract a mate.
Chickadees are singing their mating song.
Blue Jays are feeding each other.  It's part of their mating process each spring when a male feeds a female. It's kind of like taking your sweetie out for dinner.

And speaking of going out for dinner, my sweetie took me out to the Chalet (yes, that Chalet) for dinner the other night.
We were given a cozy table for two by a window overlooking the car parking lot, under a piece of art.


Texting our kids with this photo, PetBoy thought we were dining in the Louvre.

1 comment:

  1. You really had the snow...I wonder how long it will take for it to all be gone...amazing that you are seeing signs of spring with all that snow still there. We had 50 degree weather today...that is Fahrenheit of course...

    ReplyDelete