Thursday, April 2, 2015

Ice out Predictions

Early this afternoon there was one lone Canada Goose honking loudly as it sat on the ice at the mouth of the bay.


All it's loud honking brought along more geese and they too were honking. Perhaps they were making wagers on when the ice will go out.


Then along came a neighbour taking his sled out for one last ride of the season. While the ice is still thick, it's unpredictable in some areas so overall it's becoming quiet unsafe.


He waved as he passed by and went to the end of the bay then back out and around the Point.


Inside the boathouse the ice is thick. It's frozen right to the bottom of the lake.
It's always a comfort to get a whiff of fiberglass inside the boathouse. It conjures up memories of fun times on the lake.


The water level is exceptionally low and the ice extremely thick along the shoreline. Maybe 2' thick.
With ice that thick it's going to take weeks to melt.
Some people are saying April 28th will be the ice-out date. I'm guessing it might be May 1st or 2nd. I hope I'm wrong.


On my way down to the boathouse I took some seed to fill a feeder but accidentally spilled quite a bit of it on the ground.
On my way back up, I could see Chippy was in heaven.



No comments:

Post a Comment