Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Creeping Bellflower

This pretty wildflower grows in abundance around here. It isn't native to Canada. It's an invasive species that came from Europe where it's also called Zombie Weed.

To some gardeners, it's considered an obnoxious weed much like dandelions because they are difficult to eradicate.
However I like dandelions and bellflowers so they can both happily grow in my garden.

Lucy loves to eat the leaves of this plant. She searches them out and then spends her time leisurely pulling off the leaves and munching on them like potato chips.

I've seen deer search out this plant too and devour the leaves in the same manner.

As the tale goes, Rapunzel got her name from this plant: campanula rapunculoides. Her father picked this wildflower from the castle of the evil witch and planted it in his garden where it grew in abundance.

Well, it grows in abundance here too and I think it's beautiful and Lucy thinks it's tasty.



1 comment:

  1. I think it is pretty...I do wonder why Lucy and the deer love it so much.

    ReplyDelete